The Patrick Preserve is located off of West Main Road, on the north side of Reservoir Road. The property is comprised of wetland forest, shrub swamp and emergent marsh habitats with a small cleared field along West Main Road.
Based on the examination of historic aerial photography, it appears that most of the property was still in agricultural use in 1939. In the 1939 aerial, the private R.O.W. north of the property is in place and several stone walls are visible. Much of the property is cleared, presumably for pasture.
By 1972, aerial photographs show that the Patrick Preserve is almost entirely re-vegetated. The dug stream channel that marks the southern boundary of the property is clearly visible, indicating that it was constructed sometime between 1962 and 1972.
The original Patrick, Samson, Sousa parcel was donated by James B. Patrick, Susan B. Samson, Frank B. Sousa and Helene J. Sousa on October 24, 1990. The Moran parcel was donated by Malcolm C. Moran and Elissa F. Moran on December 19, 2014. The McNaughton parcel was purchased from Donald B. McNaughton on November 25, 2015.
10/15/1990, 12/26/2014, 11/25/2015
wetlands, wildlife habitat, forest