The Blanchard and Blazer properties are located in Little Compton, Rhode Island at the intersection of Cole Brook Road and John Dyer Road, near the village of Adamsville .
Forested parts of the properties lie within a complex of deciduous forest that extends generally north, south and west. Surrounding the properties to the north and south are also pockets of low and medium density residential housing. The center of the properties are classified as agricultural land and other agricultural land can be found immediately to the north, as well as northeast and southeast of the properties.
Based on the examination of historic aerial photography, Lots 73-1 and 73-2 were used for agriculture since at least 1939. Early aerial photos show brush filling in on Lots 72-1, 72-2 and 73-4, indicating they had been cleared for agriculture some time prior to 1939.
The Sakonnet Preservation Association, Inc. acquired Lots 73-1, 73-2, and 73-4 in 1993 and Lot 72-2 in 1998. At the time that Lot 72-2 was acquired, a Conservation Easement with the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management was placed over all 4 properties. The Sakonnet Preservation Association, Inc. and the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased Lot 72-1 on December 16, 2008.
June 30, 1993
wetlands, wildlife habitat, forest, agricultural fields