Based on the examination of historic aerial photography, the property has been unused for farming since at least the 1930s. Early aerial photos from 1939 show the emergent marsh in roughly its current location, surrounded by brushland that has given way to forest in many places over time. The property is part of a wetland complex associated with Dundery Brook and is surrounded by forested wetlands to the north and south. To the east is a narrow band of upland deciduous forest and agricultural land.
Lot 37-2 was deeded to the Sakonnet Preservation Association (SPA) by Stetson and Marietta Eddy in 1984. Stetson Eddy then deeded Lot 37-7 in 2002.
October 3, 1984
wetlands, wildlife habitat, dense forest