The Shaw Property is located on the north side of Sakonnet Point Road in Little Compton, RI just east of the Sakonnet Point Golf Club. The property contains deciduous wooded wetland, with some patchy emergent marsh and a small pond along Sakonnet Point Road. The perimeter of the property is bound by historic stone walls.
Based on the examination of historic aerial photography, it appears that most of the property was released from agricultural use sometime prior to 1939. The existing pond is clearly visible in the 1939 aerial, as is the wetter area in the middle of Lot 5 that is now emergent marsh habitat.
By 1962, the property was almost entirely re-forested and has continued is a similar condition to the present day.
This property was donated by Clifford W. Shaw on December 27, 2000.
December 27, 2000
scenic vista, wetlands, wildlife habitat