The Reis, Amarantes & Lloyd property is an interior woodlot located north of Cole Brook Road in eastern Little Compton, RI. The property is entirely forested and bisected by Cole Brook.
The property is historically significant for its use as a designated woodlot during European settlement. The southern portion of the property is known as the ‘Primus Collins Lot’ and was owned by Primus Collins, a black slave freed by Captain Edward Richmond.
The isolated and undisturbed condition of the entire area between Cole Brook Road and Long Highway persisted until the 1970s and 1980s when some limited residential building is apparent.
Based on the examination of historic aerial photography, it appears that the property has been continually forested, without disturbance of any kind. Cole Brook Road and Long Highway are both visible in 1939, but there is little development in the surrounding area.
This property was donated over the course of three dates (12/20/1986, 11/30/1987 and 12/27/1991) by George Reis, James P. Amarantes & Carrington and Isabelle M. Lloyd.
December 20, 1986
wetlands, wildlife habitat, dense forest